Thinning and other workshops
Grape-thinning is a task that requires considerable patience. By cutting away the small berries on the grape cluster, the remaining berries have more space to continue growing, making them bigger, sweeter and juicier. This gives table grapes their beautiful cluster form. Indoor-grown grapes are thinned from the end of March (as are grapes grown in heated greenhouses).
If you’d like to join in the thinning, just turn up on any working day from the end of March to the beginning of June. Experienced thinners do not have to register in advance. You can arrive and leave whenever you want. For every half-day’s thinning you put in, you will receive a free ticket in a weekly draw with a chance to win some great prizes and we provide coffee, tea and soft drinks free of charge.
Would you like to contribute to our marvellous regional product? Come and help us thin or learn the skill in a few half-days at the workshops we organise each year. It’s not just a fun way to spend a few days, it’s also thoroughly relaxing.
The following workshops are scheduled for 2016 and Spring 2017:
- 20 February 2016 / 09:30 – 12:00 General grape cultivation course
- 16 April 2016 / 09:00 – 12:00 Thinning course
- 23 April 2016 / 09:00 – 12:00 Thinning course
- 30 May to 4 June 2016 / 09:00 – 12:00 World Cup thinning
- 12 November 2016 / 09:00 – 12:00 Pruning course
- 19 November 2016 / 09:00 – 12:00 Pruning course
- 18 March 2017 / 09:00 – 12:00 Biology and fertilisation course
Participation costs €20 per workshop including coffee or tea. Only the grape thinning course is free, if you help out with the thinning several times during the season. If you’re interested, you can register in advance at reception at De Westlandse Druif or by sending an email to: email@example.com.